The virtual sensor is placed inside your network and takes snapshots of the data flowing over the network. You need to set up the virtual sensor appliance and then register it with the Qualys Cloud Platform. You can register virtual sensor either from Home tab or from Sensors tab.
Supported virtual sensor: VMware ESXi 6.0 - 6.5 and Microsoft Hyper-V
- From Home tab scroll down and click Deploy Network Sensor.
- Click Deploy to open the Registration wizard.
Note: Optionally, you can Navigate to Sensors tab, click New Sensor and choose Virtual Sensor to open the Registration wizard.
- To register your sensor with the Qualys Cloud Platform, provide the Sensor details and generate a Personalization Code. You’ll enter this code in the sensor console to personalize the sensor. Copy the code and keep it handy. If you wish to start scanning as soon as sensor is registered, set toggle button to YES for Would you like to start scanning as soon as license is registered?
- Click Next to view Download Image screen. You can download OVA file from this screen as well.
- Deploy the image in VMware ESXi Server or in Hyper V Sever. Scroll through the setup instructions on the screen for step-by-step guidance.
- Configure network settings for your sensor using the virtual sensor console.
- Follow on screen instructions to register your sensor.
- The new sensor will now show up in your Sensors tab on the UI.
Once your sensor successfully connects to the Qualys Cloud Platform, you can start scanning and you’ll start seeing assets discovered on your network.
- Click Next to view Define Internal Assets screen.
Here, you’ll define the IP ranges within your network you want to monitor. The assets discovered for these IP addresses will be individually inventoried and tracked for traffic analysis. You can use default IP ranges, IP range tags, or customized IP ranges. Select Inventory these assets check box for marking inventoried assets.
To configure internal, external and excluded type of assets, refer Configure Assets.
- Click Finish to complete the registration.
Manage your Sensors