You may want to create exceptions to exempt certain cloud resources from a particular control or temporarily change the status of a resource for a particular control from Failed to PassE (Pass with Exception).
For example, it may be the policy in an organization that the a particular cloud resource is not allowed on any server or port. However, there could be a business need for the organization to provide an exception for one or more resources on a temporary basis. This may be required to support a custom application or other business need. You could use exceptions in such scenarios.
Here are quick steps to create an exception.
1. Go to Monitor tab. You'll notice a Search field above the controls list. Enter your search query for failed evaluations and click the required control in the search results to view the control evaluations. Show me
2. Select the failed resource for which you want to create an exception and click Create Exception from the quick actions menu. Show me
Note: The Create Exception option is available in the quick action menu only for resources with failed control evaluations (FAIL).
3. The Exception wizard is displayed. Provide the following details for the exception:
- Basis details such as name for the exception, reason to create the exception, an explanation, start and end date for the exception. Optionally, you could also provide the information regarding the security policy and procedure for which the exception is being created. Show me
- Controls: The control for which the evaluation failed is auto-populated. Click Add More Controls to include more controls of the same resource type. Show me
- Resource Information: The resource information provides details of the resources associated with the exception you are creating.
4. Review the information you provide for the exception and click Create Exception.
That’s it! The exception is created. The exceptions you create are listed in Exceptions tab. Go to Policy > Exceptions to view the list of all exceptions.
Once the exception is in ACTIVE status, the resource result immediately changes from Fail to PassE (Pass with Exception). The Exception Details section in Evidence displays all the exception details. The exception details are updated only when the exception status changes or on every connector run. Show me
See Exception Status to know more about the various status for exceptions
Want to know more?